Saturday, February 2, 2019

Beyond Circumstances



A guest post by an anonymous writer, which will be an ongoing series. 
Please join us on her journey!

Grace. Comfort. Hope. Joy. Peace. They are all waiting for us to claim them despite our circumstances. I have recently been having a hard time adjusting to life as a cancer survivor as well as circumstances in my life that I would rather not be dealing with, namely several recent losses of relationship I was not expecting. It has thrown me into stage of believing lies about myself and has severely shaken my confidence. I KNOW the truth about myself in my head, but that is hard to translate to my heart - to really believe and feel the truth, DESPITE my circumstances and it has gotten me to think about how difficult circumstances are not the definer of our lives. We can move beyond our circumstances and experience peace and joy even in the midst of them. 

We are not stuck because of our circumstances. 
"We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps". Proverbs 16:9

We spend our whole lives thinking we are in control. So when things happen that we think we should have control over, it throws us off balance. The good news is that our plans are not God's plans. If he has better for us, our plans mean nothing. In fact, our plans often fall through for a purpose. We will not always know the purpose, but there is a purpose!

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us" (The Holy Spirit) Ephesians 3:20

If we remember that we are not God and he can do MUCH more than we could ever ask or imagine with our circumstances, that can give us hope. We can get unstuck and not focus on our circumstances, but on the potential for great things, possibly BECAUSE of our circumstances. Maybe we are supposed to learn something. Or maybe we are supposed to grow in humility. Whatever the case, God is doing something.

"We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on you" 2 Chronicles 2:20

When we are lost and do not know what to do, God still knows. God can do anything, especially if we keep our eyes on him, look to him for help and rely on him.

God is not limited by our choices.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose" Romans 8:28

God is not surprised by our circumstances. God knows every minute detail of our lives before it occurs. He also knows how he is going to use it for good - maybe for us or for someone else. However, regardless in what way he uses it, there is no wasted experience we face. As long as we love him, he will use it for good, to grow us (or someone else) closer to him. Our choices do not limit God. He gives us incomprehensible grace in our lives.

"We rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us" Romans 5:3-5

God knows better than we do. 
"'For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways', declares the Lord. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts'" Isaiah 55:8-9

This verse has always given me comfort. It reminds me that God is sovereign. He knows much better than I do about me, my life and my circumstances. He is God and I am not.

We can have joy, peace and hope despite our circumstances.
Now Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. 
Hebrews 11:1

May the God of Hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit" Romans 15:13

The Holy Spirit is at work ALL THE TIME in those who believe. Even when I am at my worst he shows me grace and gives me moments of joy, fills me with peace when I should be in despair, if only for moments, and  shows me the way. I am made to show his love to others. That can be done regardless of my circumstances.





1 comment: