Wednesday, March 14, 2018

The Healing Process - The First Two Weeks


A guest post by an anonymous writer, which will be an ongoing series. 
Please join us on her journey!


Tomorrow will mark two weeks since my surgery and I am happy to say, healing has been going extremely well. It has not been without its challenges and bumps, but I have been blessed to have a lot of support from family and friends.

Feb 28-March 4 were my hardest days. I had a lot of pain and was extremely tired. The bandages and drains bothered me immensely.  These days I was grateful for my husband who brought me meals and let me rest, as well as 6 friends who came to visit or took my kids for some respite.

March 5-11 I went off the prescription pain meds, thankfully, and continued to make progress with pain and mobility. One of my sisters was here to help. She is also a nurse so she knew to tell me to rest and gave advice as I needed it regarding everything under the sun regarding healing! She did all of the laundry, dishes and child care and meals were provided by friends through a meal train. I was out of bed most of the day most days and rested in the afternoon and at night. I was able to spend time with my family without overdoing it and for that, I am eternally grateful!

March 6 I had two of my four drains removed and my bandages/tape removed. That was such a relief!  I was also told that I will most likely get to complete reconstruction in about a month instead of 3-4! After my appointment, I was able to take a shower, just 6 days after surgery.  Keeping the drains dry was a challenge, and quite comical (wrapped in saran wrap)! I even washed my own hair, something I did not think I would be able to do for a few more weeks.

March 10 I went to the zoo with my kids, husband, and sister. I think the fresh air and walking around did me a lot of good.

March 11 Another sister arrived and the three of us went to lunch and a movie while my husband watched the kids! Sister time was good for me too. My first sister left in the evening and my other sister stayed. She, too, is doing almost all of the "work" for my kids and my home!

I am honestly probably mobile enough (though very tired and still shouldn't be doing heavy lifting) that I could have done this week without my sister if I had to. However, her being here is helping me heal all the faster and I am still getting meals which is making it easier on all of us.

Today (March 13) I went to see my surgical oncologist, plastic/reconstructive surgeon, and the physical therapist. 

My first doctor reported that the pathology report is clear, which means a minuscule risk of recurrence of around 2-3%. Recurrence after mastectomy is not common, though it can happen given around 5-10% of breast tissue remains, especially with skin and nipple sparing mastectomy.  

For my visit with the plastic surgeon, I had the steri strips and the remaining two drains removed which was so awesome, considering they can be in for up to 4 weeks, which I was expecting. The doctors are all very impressed with my healing. 

I was given exercises to do three times a day starting in a couple of days (once drain sites are healed), and am expected to have full mobility in about 2 weeks.

Here is the challenge now: I have a possible complication which requires (as a precaution mostly) 5 days of a steroid (3x a day) and another antibiotic (2x a day) for 10 days (on top of the 3x daily one I am taking already and have been since my surgery). I was also given instruction for the scar healing under my arms. This requires 2x daily massage with Mederma and silicone bandages. 

So, I need to figure out how, on top of taking care of 3 kids, to take 3 different medications on a schedule which won't upset my stomach (with food), do 3x daily exercise and 2x daily scar care. It seems daunting, especially since I am not a schedule person! I find it difficult to even find time to eat in my "regular" life let alone all of this. And in 6 days I will no longer have help with my kids. Additionally, my son asked to nurse again tonight, since the drains are gone. He thinks I am all better and will have milk again. Heartbreaking!

I haven't been very positive today. I have been more annoyed than anything. This doesn't undo the gratefulness I feel or the many blessing I know that I have in the midst of this. It is not an either/or situation but a both/and one (BOTH annoyed AND grateful simultaneously). I'm so glad I am not doing this alone. I might be a mess. 

And even when my sisters leave, I am still not alone! I am never alone!



Read previous posts in this series:
Maxed Out Minivan
To start at part one go here:
Part 1: Stage Zero What?




No comments:

Post a Comment