Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Timing is Everything!!



A guest post by an anonymous writer, which will be an ongoing series. 
Please join us on her journey!

February 11-25 turned my life upside down! However, God's providence was evident!

The evening of Monday, February 11, I was having chest and arm pain while making dinner rushing around getting ready to bring my daughter to gymnastics. The pain was acute for a few minutes and I got very hot. By the time I arrived at gymnastics less than half an hour later, it was a minor dull pain and my arms felt like I was carrying something heavy. This pain continued on and off all week. Friday morning I decided to call my family doctor to get checked just in case. I knew they administered EKGs so I knew they could determine if I should go to the ER. I was able to get an appointment that afternoon. The EKG showed abnormal and provided several possible reasons - one being possible ischemia (reduced blood flow), which can indicate a blockage, so I was sent to the ER.

The ER doctor assured me that most chest pain is caused by something minor and not to worry. A blood draw was taken and I was given a chest XRay, Heart CT and another EKG. I was told less than an hour after I came in that I was being admitted. The blood draw showed troponin, which is only present after a cardiac event. 

I was admitted and given an echocardiogram (heart ultrasound). All tests take came back within normal ranges. By the time I was admitted it was Friday night around 6:30. I was told it is likely a problem that needs more in-depth testing to diagnose and Monday morning I will be given a heart MRI and angiogram. The most likely causes given my symptoms were thought to be a minor heart attack of unknown cause or inflammation of the heart, often caused by a virus.  I would not have been surprised by a virus-caused problem given how many times I have been hospitalized this past year for breast cancer surgeries. 

Monday the tests showed the cause to be Spontaneous Coronary Arterial Dissection (SCAD). In lay terms this is a tear in the coronary artery. In my case, two tears. I was transferred by ambulance to another hospital with a heart unit and saw the cardiac team Tuesday morning. At this point I was told they wanted to monitor me and medically manage the tears, as one was irreparable and the other was showing good blood flow and healing. 

Tuesday night, I had a major pain episode and was rushed to heart cath for another angiogram. This showed that the irreparable tear had torn further. I was transferred to the Critical Care Unit, put on IV nitrogycerin and sedated to aid in healing/prevent adrenaline etc. After this treatment I was put on an IV betablocker for a half a day to see how I would tolerate a very low dose. Saturday at my previous hospital I had a vey bad reaction to a betablocker, where my heart rate would not come back up from high 40's/low 50s. The IV betablocker was to determine the best dose for me that my body could tolerate. 

Based on when troponin levels peaked, the initial event happened between Thurs night at 5pm and Fri morning at 5 am. The doctor said he believed that was accurate based on the amount of healing that had occured by the time I had the angiogram on Monday February 18.

Here is where the timing blows me away!  If I had went in earlier than Friday, troponin levels would not have been elevated. Since other tests came back normal, I would have been sent home and could have died. I would have told myself "they said I was fine" and not went back in. I believe God allowed me to wait. I beleive the Holy Spirit was guiding me when to go in! All the drugs I was given initially (at my stay at the first hospital) may have saved my life. If I did not go in at all, I could have died.

I had a heart view screening scheduled Friday February 23. It would have showed nothing and I would have assumed I was fine. (since my heart CT scan showed normal and it is similar). I am so grateful that I went in when I did. This whole experience was another reminder how I have always been led by the Holy Spirit. God has always been faithful to me - guiding me, protecting me, comforting me. This time was no exception!







9 comments:

  1. You are here for a reason! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're feeling better and that the timing of your ER visit was so in sync with your situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really pleased with your blog content and such a worthy article to read it. I really appreciated the prospective way of thinking of writing the content. We would also like to project service of expert in cars you cars and if your looking to sell your junk cars immediately we would be happy in receiving it in return pay cash as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We Buy Cars for Cash is a leading scrap car buying company that takes great pride in providing customers with the free junk cars, trucks, vans, buses, 4×4 removal, and paying top dollar cash instantly. Visit us Car Removal Sydney today

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for sharing sell your old car and get a new one for your comfort. We buy cars melbourne and offer top cash for cars with free car removal

    ReplyDelete
  7. Want to earn top cash for cars logan? Look no further, We offer top cash with free car removal services for any vehicle including scrap, junk, useless, unwanted and more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for sharing.
    Do you have old unwanted cars? sell unwanted cars for cash and get free car removal services.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a smart blog. I mean it. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. If you're trying to sell your old cars for cash in melbourne, Just contact us at 04-0108-3835 or make an Online Quote.

    ReplyDelete