Monday, May 4, 2015

Hillary for President, So What if She's Pro-Choice



Recently I posted this status “In my opinion, regardless of which political party you identify with, Hillary Clinton should be president. It would say a lot about the progress of America, especially on the heels of Obama’s presidency.” to my Facebook page.

I was then asked why.
My reply was, “If we can have a black or woman president that is progress. 50 yrs ago no one would believe it could or would happen.”

This friend then replied, “So no matter what her political position is we should vote for her because she is a woman? Any woman running you would vote for no matter what? And that's progress? That's a crazy statement!”

There was a lot of explaining and arguing in which I said I would not vote for her JUST because she is a woman, but that if she did become president, it would show progress in America.

Then another friend asked if I knew what she believes in. I told her I do not know a lot but I always research candidates closer to election time and that I never party vote.

She then piped up with, “She is a women that votes for abortion. A women that votes to kill unborn children is in no way a women I would want to be my president.”

record scratch….WAIT! WHAT!?

Checking the box Pro-Choice does not equate to checking the box Kill Unborn Children!
Are people really this uneducated and ignorant that they really think that is what Pro-Choice means?



If so, let me break it down for you.



There are 3 different groups Pro-Choice supporters fall into:

  • Those that believe abortion is okay any time, and that whatever the mother chooses is up to her
  • Those that believe abortion is okay sometimes in extreme situations such as, the pregnancy is the result of incest or rape, pregnancy would endanger the mother’s life, or in the case of severe birth defects
  • Those that believe, between illegal abortion and legal abortion, legal abortion is the lesser of two evils, and that it is more affordable and safer for the mother

All of these groups support birth control use, fertility treatments, surrogacy, and sterilization.

Those that are Pro-Life believe any abortion is wrong and should not be used for any reason. Some of them also believe birth control use, fertility treatments, surrogacy, and sterilization are never to be used.

Really?

So if the mother dies in childbirth and leaves other children behind, so what?

If the mother can’t afford prenatal care and also feeding her existing children, so what?

If the mother would suffer severe mental anguish resulting from carrying a baby produced in incest or rape, so what?

If a mother can’t have her own children, so what?

This thinking is irrational at best.

Some of them have even gone to the extreme of burning down Planned Parenthood buildings. Without Planned Parenthood many teens become pregnant and many low income women can not afford reproductive health care.

If Planned Parenthood had not existed when I was seventeen, I may have been a pregnant teen. I also had sterilization surgery after birthing five children. I am happy these services exist, and I am not sorry for using them. Planned Parenthood provides a myriad of reproductive health services to teens or low income women at no or low cost. It is not just for abortions, much like any other woman's healthcare facility. Most of them are preventative, which they would much prefer over abortion.

Let’s just say for arguments sake, abortion was illegal. It would not keep it from happening. It would happen more often, in unsafe, unsterile environments. It would also be more costly, and more people would die, including mothers. Making something illegal does not make it stop occuring.

Drugs are illegal, people still use them.
Driving under the influence is illegal, people still do it.
Speeding is illegal, people still do it.

If abortion were illegal, birth control would be next. That would result in more unwanted pregnancies and more back alley abortions.

Furthermore, what in the world does whether a candidate is Pro-Life or Pro-Choice have to do with ability to run the country? It doesn't have any connection whatsoever! NONE Why is so much emphasis placed on this issue? Abortion will exist no matter what, legal or illegal.

When voting, we need to vote for the candidate that can change the things we think are important to change, keep/give funding to places we want it to be, and keep doing the things that are working.

It is very sad that some of us think we need to follow like sheep and vote Pro-Life/Republican because the church tells us to, when we do not even know what Pro-Choice really means.

Are you going to be a sheep and follow blindly, or be a free thinker, do your research, and vote the way you want to? The choice is yours. I choose to be a free thinker. I am not a sheep.

I do not identify as either Pro-Choice or Pro-Life, because I do not believe in labels. I am a fence sitter on many issues. However, It does not really matter what I believe. I am not here to persuade you to either side, I am here to encourage you to really think about what it means to be Pro-Life or Pro-Choice, then decide how you believe based on your research, not what someone else says you should believe. Education is Power!

What do you think? Should Hillary be our next president?

No comments:

Post a Comment