Wednesday, February 14, 2018

How to Make a Breast Cast


A guest post by an anonymous writer, which will be an ongoing series. 
Please join us on her journey!


Shortly after I found out that mastectomy was in the cards for me, I decided it might be a good idea to make a breast cast.  I knew people did belly casts while pregnant to remember their pregnant form, so why not do a breast cast to remember my pre-surgery body, as I did not think photos would do it justice?

The first step was to find a video or instructions.  I was unable to find such a video, so I set out to make my own.  I found many belly casting videos, some of which included the breast area, so I decided to pattern mine after those.  I found instructions and the supplies needed and went to work to prepare.

Later, I had help making the breast cast, which was a great bonding experience, to say the least!  It's not every day you get to have other women videoing and touching your breasts!  In the end, I am very happy I did it and will cherish it I am sure.  

Supplies:
  • Petroleum jelly
  • Plaster cloth
  • Scissors
  • Warm water
  • Plastic drop cloth or old towel
Steps:
  1. Cut strips into 3 sizes - Four 2 x 5 strips, several strips about 1 x 6, several long strips the width of the torso.
  2. Apply a generous amount of petroleum jelly to the entire area to be covered by the breast cast.
  3. Wet and apply strips. Use 2 x 5 strips to cover each breast in an X formation.
  4. Continue to apply the several longer strips to cover the X formations.
  5. Apply longest strips to the torso area.
  6. Wait 15-20 minutes and let the cast dry.
  7. Remove and wait at least 24 hours before sanding and embellishing the breast cast.  


I have not had a chance to sand or paint my breast cast yet.  I am looking forward to that experience as well!  I hope this helps someone commemorate their pre-surgery form!  


And remember, whoever you are, YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!  




Read other posts in this series: 
Maxed Out Minivan
To start at part one go here:
Part 1: Stage Zero What?

No comments:

Post a Comment