Friday, February 16, 2018

The Upside(s) - Brand New Boobs!


A guest post by an anonymous writer, which will be an ongoing series. 
Please join us on her journey!

How many times do you think I have heard "at least you will have nice boobs" or some other version of that statement since I started telling people I was having a mastectomy? More than I can count! It is understandable in some ways. Even I was guilty of thinking that, in the beginning. I thought "worst case scenario, I will get new boobs" after I found out I needed a biopsy. Little did I know it would ever become a reality. Additionally, I did not realize all a mastectomy with reconstruction entails.  

“I wish I would have known my reconstruction process was a work in progress,” says Megan, recently diagnosed in late 2014. “You’re not just waking up from surgery with fabulous, perky boobs. People will say, ‘At least you are getting new boobs as a result of cancer.’ But, it’s more like a six-month science project, and it’s not fun.”

This statement is from Post-mastectomy fashion: 4 things I wish I'd known before. This article talks about being comfortable between mastectomy and reconstruction (8-12 weeks in most cases) and also how things fit when reconstruction is complete. One thing I did not expect and am not looking forward to is finding a bra that fits (or a swimsuit for that matter)!  Apparently, regular bras don't fit reconstructed breasts for many women. Reconstructed breasts don't have the "give" that natural breasts have. So, rather than trying to mold into the clothes, the clothes have to mold to you.

"Reconstructed breasts in no way resemble natural breasts. Attempting to wear a top that used to give you killer cleavage may only end in frustration.

“Though your breasts may be the same size as they were before, they are not the same.” says Jeannine, who was diagnosed at 26 and underwent a bilateral mastectomy with latissimus flap reconstruction. “The density, shape and consistency of implants are vastly different than that of normal breast tissue, and radiation can completely alter your skin and muscle. This must be taken into consideration when choosing clothing. Your implants don’t squish into things, and they don't move for you. I had to get stuck in a few items of clothes in dressing rooms to learn that lesson.” "
Despite these difficulties, which I did NOT expect, there are some upsides to having a mastectomy (some of these are totally silly, so please forgive me):
  • I will get to have "young" looking breasts (though not mine and difficult to manage, they will probably look great).
  • I get to buy a new swimsuit.
  • I will have time to catch up on my DVR'd shows and read while I recover.
  • I will get some delicious meals brought to me and cooked by others.
  • I get to have TWO sisters visit in 2 weeks time!
  • My kids get time with their aunties and more time with Dad than usual.
  • I get a break from doing bedtime and grocery shopping for a bit (ha!).
  • I get to meet some fabulous people I would not otherwise have met.
  • Most of all, I am growing closer to God and seeking Jesus, my Savior in everything.
Through this journey thus far, I have experienced more moments of peace and pure joy than I have during any other time of my life!  That, my friend, can only be the work of God!

You have turned for me my mourning into dancing;
you have loosed my sackcloth
and clothed me with gladness,
that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent.
O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!
Ps 30:11-12 ESV


Read other posts in this series:
Maxed Out Minivan
To start at part one go here:
Part 1: Stage Zero What?

No comments:

Post a Comment